14 November 2011

something borrowed, something blue

Principessa gown in lace and organza

anyone who knows me well knows i love weddings. who am i kidding? heck, anyone who knows me not well, maybe seen me once or twice, sat at the bus with me, or brushed arms with me probably has some idea about how much i love....well, love. i adore fancy occasions, reasons to celebrate and happily ever afters.

this weekend, francis and i went to the wedding of two of our dear friends. we've been to a handful of weddings recently. i've danced my heart out while francis watched (probably embarrassed) from our table. we've made new friends, caught up with acquaintances, and taken notes for our someday nuptials. the one thing i've noticed is we tend to know only a handful of people well at weddings, since our friends come from so many different groups. i was never the girl that had the close knit group of twenty friends who did everything together, but instead the twenty friends from twenty different groups. though half the world would bet money that i'm never shy, i found myself taking on the role of wallflower at some of this season's weddings, because i knew something like two people at the wedding ---the bride and groom.
this weekend's wedding hosted about thirty of my nearest and dearest. we took up three tables and it was so nice to have familiar faces everywhere i looked. they had dance instruction at the beginning of the wedding, where we had a crash course on learning the waltz, swing, disco, and line dancing. i thought this was a genius idea, because it built confidence and gave the guests something to do while the wedding party took photos. it was a blast to dance with a group of girls, cheer loudly as francis partook in the men's disco competition, nuzzle into francis' shoulder as we danced slowly to "moonriver", and have a chance to catch up with so many friends at once.

i was excited to try my hand at the bouquet toss and hoped that fate was somehow intertwined with my catching skills. sure enough, a little of beyonce's "single ladies" and a small crowd of unwed women later and the bouquet was mine. (i have to be honest and say though i didn't trample anybody, i definitely reached for it. it wasn't one of those "i didn't even try and it fell right into my hands" kind of things.)

basking in the promise of a soon engagement only flowers can provide, i was sitting at our table when the two flower girls came up to me. here's the conversation:

fg (flower girl): "pretty flowers." (in a sad voice)
me: "thank you."
fg: "we were trying to catch them but we got hit in the head." (sounded like eeyore)
me: "oh no! am i the one who hit you in the head?"
fg: "no, not you. it's okay, we are okay now." (sounded heartbroken)
...long pause...
me: "here, you can have the bouquet."

and then, they ran away giddy. i got played by two six year olds.

then, francis comes up to me and says, "sweetheart, don't you know that if you catch a bouquet and give it away, it delays engagement by ten years."

moral of the story: i was practically engaged this weekend and i threw it all away on two puppy dog faces.
disclaimer: this is heavily dosed in sarcasm.

the end.

{images: j.crew, BHLDN}

3 comments:

  1. You are hilarious :) I like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura! You are too kind.
    How blessed am I to be your friend in real life and now in the blogosphere...all my stars. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great memories. Too bad you had to give those flowers away...

    ReplyDelete