30 August 2013

Cold Avocado + Cucumber Soup

I love cookbooks. There, I said it.

Love them in a I don't even want to make the recipes, I just want to stare at the pictures and lovingly caress the pages. A month ago, Francis let me use a lingering wedding giftcard to buy Giada's new cookbook. I perused it. Loved it. Added it to our cookbook menagerie. A few days later, I saw Gwyn's new cookbook and HAD to have it. After a stern talking to from the Mr. about my obsession love of cookbooks, and a promise from me that I would actually make the recipes, Gwyn and I walked out of the store together.


Her book is filled with new twists on classic recipes, all focused on eating clean and healthy. We had to take a trip to Whole Foods (who am I kidding, that place is like a vacation for me) to pick up a few less common ingredients, like brown rice syrup and grapeseed oil. My mother-in-law rocked my socks and hooked me up with gochujang, sesame seed oil, fish sauce and other Asian flavor goodness. Then, I was ready to roll. 

I've been rocking a fuzzy fro all week due to the heat and humidity, so any recipe that doesn't require stove, oven, or heat of any kind is a friend of mine. Enter --- Cold Avocado + Cucumber Soup.

This is it, folks. All the ingredients for a delicious summer soup.

NOTE: The recipe calls for the juice and zest of 3 limes. Next time I make it, I'll either take away a lime or add a cucumber and avocado. Though delicious - the lime flavor was a bit overwhelming. 



I scooped out the seeds of 2 large cucumbers. (Really easy to do - just use a spoon.)

Roughly chopped the cucumbers. They are going into the blender, so no need to be too precise. 

Add lime juice and zest. 

Add cucumbers, 2 avocados, and a pinch of sea salt. Blend away. 

The avocado makes the soup creamy, the cucumber makes it refreshing,and the lime adds a nod to summery citrus (too much in this case, but now we know.)

Here's the recipe:
Cold Avocado+Cucumber Soup
Serves 4
Vegan

Zest and juice of 2 limes
2 large cucumbers, peeled and seeded, roughly chopped
2 avocados, peeled and roughly chopped
1 teaspoon of sea salt

Combine everything in powerful blender and blitz until it's totally creamy and smooth.

Bon appetit!

images: hilaryclair

5 comments:

  1. This look delish! Totally love blender soups. I think this will be a must try for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to let me know what you think, A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilary, did you every try cucumber slices in iced water...yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete