16 September 2013

Falling

I adore fall.
the spicy scents
the brisk air
layering clothes
needing to wrap in a blanket
orchards
our wedding anniversary
my birthday
pumpkins and apples
the changing leaves

I'm strict about no Christmas music or decor before Thanksgiving, but with so many things to love about fall, September 1st and summer is a thing of the past.

Everything about the weather yesterday felt like fall.

Since F was golfing, I spent the day fall-ifying (please just pretend that's a word).

With candles lit and Bossy Pants playing on Audible, I changed into an oversized sweatshirt and threw my hair into a messy bun - things were getting serious ladies and gents.

I scattered small pumpkins in unexpected nooks and tucked faux leaves behind picture frames. I plan to take a walk around the lake this week to gather a handful of acorns (I think they would look pretty in a bowl) and we'll add to the fall menagerie on our annual orchard visit. I boxed up our summer-y decor and put out a vase with fresh maroon and gold flowers (school pride!).

When I was little, my mom would put citrus and spices in a pot on the stove to make the house smell like all sorts of autumn deliciousness. I decided to play copycat. Easiest.thing.ever.

I used cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon sticks and half an orange, lemon, and lime.


Slice the fruits and throw the spices into a pot filled with water. (I zested the nutmeg  and added ground cinnamon as well for a stronger aroma.) Simmer it on the stove for as long as you please (just make sure to keep the water level up) and restrain from sticking your face into the pot because you want to be as close to the delicious smell as possible. 

(Fear not - though it looks like there's an insect of sorts on my cutting board, it's just a pinch of whole cloves.)

When Francis came home, he said the house smelled delicious at least 8 times. Success.

For dinner, Francis made tomato soup and grilled cheese and I whipped up a couple of spiked ciders to sip on. (Recipe to come.)


It may not be officially fall until the 22nd, but for this girl, there's no going back.

images: hilaryclair

1 comment: