07 February 2014

Drink your vegetables.




My love affair with our blender is off and on. 

I go through phases where I prefer all of my meals to be sip-able and others where chewing sounds more enjoyable. In an effort to bring smoothies to work for breakfast vs. skipping the meal altogether or spending money on something bought, I've been looking for new recipes. 

I found a couple around the interwebs that I wanted to try. F and I tend to be pretty good at eating vegetables, but not necessarily fruits and greens. I'm not exactly sure why, because I love fruit, but we just don't seem to have it around the house. I'm so not a salad girl so greens become a forgotten ingredient in my day-to-day. 

Keeping this in mind, this recipe really stood out to me as it was packed with greens and fruit. 
Downside? It is supposed to be a juice, made in a juicer. Ain't nobody got money time for that.

So, I turned to my handy dandy blender that could once again to see if it was up for the challenge. 

I threw into the blender:
1 pear, sliced
1 green apple, sliced
1 red apple, sliced
1/3 fennel bulb and stem
4 stalks of celery, chopped
1 small English cucumber, chopped, 
1" piece of ginger, chopped
1 large handful kale (approximately 2 c.)
1 lemon, juiced

It was only after I put everything in and F asked, "Do you add almond milk? Where does the liquid come in?" that I realized it may be a doosy of a fail. But, I held out hope, hit liquify, and waited. 

It made a dry whirring sound at first. I used the stem of the fennel to stir things around and then we were cooking blending with steam greens. 

It tasted a little like freshly mowed lawn clippings, so I added more lemon and ginger and twirled it again. 

It made 3 mason jars full, which I kept in the fridge to grab for a quick breakfast.(Shout out to my friend A for the Mason jar lid. So fun and convenient!)

 Being blended vs. juiced left the consistency thicker with tiny pieces of the ingredients, but not enough to keep me from drinking it. 

It was a refreshing start to the mornings, and kept me full until lunch time.

Do you have any favorite smoothie recipes? 
I would love to try them! 

images: hilaryclair



4 comments:

  1. H, I have a thought on the using a juice recipe in a blender thing. My fancy pants blender came with a recipe book with juice recipes in it. I had a wha-wha-what moment. Then I realized that the final step is to use the nutmilk bag to strain out the bits and pieces. Perhaps you could pull out the cheesecloth similar to your almond milk setup?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an awesome idea - thanks, A!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These photos could be in Real Simple or another fab magazine. That camera and your photo angles (and perspective) are amazing! Seriously. Plus, I was so inspired by this post, I went out and bought a big bag of kale. Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. It's all the camera and very little me. ;)
    Keep me posted on your kale adventures!

    ReplyDelete