18 February 2014

Homemade bread


I've always loved the smell of baking bread. 
There's something magical about the way it swirls the smell of the comforts of home through the air. 
Never having owned a bread machine, the process felt daunting. 

Then, in December, I went to a Mpls. St. Paul Magazine event and heard Zoë François talk. Her cookbook, Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day is all about how simple the process is. I don't have her book so I tried this recipe instead, but Zoë inspired me to whip up my own loaf of carbohydrate love. 

A handful of the ingredients. (Minus the boiling water, all purpose flour, and butter). 
Notice the cameo of F's faux hawk in the background. 

Start with 1 1/4 cups of boiling water in a bowl.

Add 1 cup of old fashioned oats 
(I used quick cooking - I don't think this matters, but I'm a newb so don't really listen to me.)

Add 2 Tbsp of unsalted butter, cut into pieces.


Add 1 1/2 tsp. of kosher salt.


Add 1/4 cup of honey.
Stir ingredients together and let sit until lukewarm.

With the dough hook attachment on a KitchenAid mixer (or knead by hand if you have major muscles), combine the oat mixture with:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup nonfat dry milk
2 tsp. instant yeast

(I'd be lying if I didn't tell you that part of the reason I was excited to make bread is to use the dough hook attachment for the first time.
I'm a culinary nerd and things like that excite me.)

Stir until you have a smooth ball of dough. 
(Or a slightly lumpy hunk of dough in my case.)

Place the dough ball in a lightly greased bowl and cover. 

Let sit until it doubles in size. (approx. 1 hour, but mine took closer to 2)

Note: If dough is extremely sticky, lightly oiling your hands will help you handle it.
Gently mold dough to fit into a lightly greased, loaf pan.
Cover it with lightly greased plastic wrap and allow it to rise. 

The original recipe says to let it sit about 1.5 hours and it will rise 1 1/2 inches over the rim, buut...
My loaf was a late bloomer. I left it out over night and even then, it wasn't the yeasty, fluffy bread I was hoping for. Thinking all had been ruined, I decided to bake it anyway. (In a 350 degree F oven, for 45 minutes. After 20 minutes, tent it with foil to prevent it from getting too brown.)

I removed it from the oven, let it cool in the loaf pan for 1 minute, and then transferred it to our cutting board. 

(cue dramatic music.)


A little misshapen and squished, but it was DE-licious. 
It reminded both F and I a little of beer bread because it had a hearty, yeasty flavor, but the honey made it sweet at the end.
Pretty much everything I hope for in my bread.


We toasted it with butter, made breakfast sandwiches, and avocado toast on it and all were scrumptious. 

Do you have a favorite bread recipe? Will you try this one?
Let me know in the comments!

A few notes: 
+The original recipe instructs to brush the baked bread with melted butter and a sprinkling of dry oats. I prefer crusty bread (and didn't really see this step until the loaf had been devoured), so skipped this step.
+I read on the back of the whole wheat flour that they recommend bread flour instead of whole wheat if using it to make bread. This may have caused the disappointing expansion.
+If anything, I think my experience shows that you shouldn't be hesitant to try making bread, because even though everything didn't go as planned, it still turned out. 

Be brave, dear ones. 

images: hilaryclair


No comments:

Post a Comment