21 October 2013

The Soup of the Brave

My friend and coworker Taylor and I often share what we are planning to make for dinner each night. With similar tastes in food and openness to trying to new things, we end up making many of each other's recipes. 

Last week, she hit me with a doozy: 
TOMATO PEANUT BUTTER SOUP


I thought it sounded unappetizing and had no interest in copycating this one. UNTIL, she brought it in for lunch the next day and let me try it. I went home and whipped up a batch of my own and became a believer. 

Shout out to Taylor for pushing me out of my comfort zone and giving me another warm soup recipe. 

If you are reading this and think it sounds awesome, more power to you. If you are reading this with a scrunched up face in disgust, I hear you. But seriously, try it. See if it makes a believer out of you too. 

Also, tune in tomorrow for a guest post from one of my favorite people!

On to the recipe:
(Click here to be taken to the original Food Network recipe.)



Heat 1Tbls of EVOO in a pot over medium-high heat.

Finely chop:
1 small onion
1 green bell pepper
1 celery stalk 
(Save the leaves for topping.)
 Add to pan and stir for 5 minutes.

Add:
1 clove of garlic 
(See my favorite cubed version here.)
1/2tsp curry powder
1/2tsp paprika
1/8tsp cayenne pepper 
(I added 1/4 to give it a little more of a kick.)
1tsp salt


Stir together for 2 minutes.

Add:
1-15oz can of crushed tomatoes
4 cups of chicken broth 
(NOTE: I've been loving this as a less expensive option. 
Buying stocks and broths can add up when you love soup as much as I do.)
1tsp of packed brown sugar
1 cup of water

Whisk in:
1/3 cup of smooth peanut butter

Bring pot to a boil. Then, allow to simmer over low heat for approximately 30 minutes until soup begins to thicken, stirring occasionally. 

Blend all ingredients together. You can use an immersion blender or actual blender. 
Sorry no photo of this step. I was too caught up in trying not to burn myself in the transferring process. :)

Chop the celery leaves.
  
Ladle soup into bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, top with cracked black pepper, and celery leaves. 
Prepare to be amazed. 

If you are brave enough to try it, please let me know what you think!

images: hilaryclair, recipe: Food Network


1 comment:

  1. Another amazing recipe that without your glowing reviews, I may not have been tempted to try. I'll keep you posted when I do. I also enjoyed your photos, commentary, and clickable links. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete